Tuesday, 21 August 2012

General versus Specific Obedience

Scripture Reading: Exodus 3:7-11

Key Verse: " who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the *Israelis out of Egyptian?" (Exodus 3:11)

Meditation: Moses found it much easier to respond to a general invitation than to a specific request. God put specific names of people like Pharaoh and specific geography like Egypt into the call. Moses began to squirm and feel threatened. 

During my years at Bible College I was generally "mission-minded", attended missionary prayer meetings and excitedly listened to those from the fields who spoke to us. I enjoyed reading Paul's missionary  journeys and even tried to identify with him. I thought had I lived in Palestine in those days I would have been apart of Paul's church planting team. Later, when an elderly missionary pointed his finger at me at a youth rally and asked, "Will you go to Japan?" I had to face a specific call of God. Soon a letter came from OMS saying "You can be on a team with seven Japanese workers planting churches all over Japan."

Like Moses, I tried to negotiate with God. Perhaps God was just testing my willingness to go. But can a person pretend to be willing without really being willing? I decided to go a friend for advice hoping he would discourage my embarking on such an adventure. I simply asked what he would think if I told him I was going to Japan. Before I could tell him any more details, he responded, "Helmut, if you are going to Japan account on me for your first month of support."

Thought for today:  Postponed obedience can easily lead to disobedience.

* I am finding it very challenging changing the old words of Israelites, Hebrews and Jews for Isrealis. I hope it is also challenging the readers.  It is like a light bulb has gone on as I begin to see how God actually is in control of the Israeli nation today and not just in days of the exodus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment