Scripture Reading: Matthew 5:1-11
Key Verse: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God (Matthew 5:8).
Mediation: The Bible calls God the God of Peace. The members of the Trinity each have a distinct identity yet act in perfect harmony. God also displays positive, good intentions toward all his children. Jeremiah (29:11) reveals God’s will to Israel, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm yo, plans to give you hope and a future.” Other translations suggest God is actively thinking about our peace.
Jesus, God’s sinless Son, coming into our world makes peace possible. Christ made peace with God for us by His sacrificial death reconciling us to God. He also bridged the distance between Jews and Gentiles by creating a new body, the Church in which we are all equal partners being indwelt by the same Holy Spirit.
Peace making is now part of our new family responsibility as members of Christ and of one another. Christ’s last will and testament to His disciples was, “Peace I leave with you; peace I give unto you” (John 4:27). The Hebrew word for peace, “shalom” means more than absence of conflict; it conveys a desire for all the goodness of God*.
Thought for the Day: Telling people about God and their place in His community is the most lasting kind of peace making.
* I have recently come to understand that Shalom means more the peace of mind. It also includes peace in the body and refers to wholeness and being complete in physical, finical, mental health as well.
In Ephesians Paul speaks about putting on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6 10-17). In this "Christian Uniform", he includes "shoes of peace". Today, it is the running shoe that has become the shoe of peace and fun.
Key Verse: Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God (Matthew 5:8).
Mediation: The Bible calls God the God of Peace. The members of the Trinity each have a distinct identity yet act in perfect harmony. God also displays positive, good intentions toward all his children. Jeremiah (29:11) reveals God’s will to Israel, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm yo, plans to give you hope and a future.” Other translations suggest God is actively thinking about our peace.
Jesus, God’s sinless Son, coming into our world makes peace possible. Christ made peace with God for us by His sacrificial death reconciling us to God. He also bridged the distance between Jews and Gentiles by creating a new body, the Church in which we are all equal partners being indwelt by the same Holy Spirit.
Peace making is now part of our new family responsibility as members of Christ and of one another. Christ’s last will and testament to His disciples was, “Peace I leave with you; peace I give unto you” (John 4:27). The Hebrew word for peace, “shalom” means more than absence of conflict; it conveys a desire for all the goodness of God*.
Thought for the Day: Telling people about God and their place in His community is the most lasting kind of peace making.
* I have recently come to understand that Shalom means more the peace of mind. It also includes peace in the body and refers to wholeness and being complete in physical, finical, mental health as well.
In Ephesians Paul speaks about putting on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6 10-17). In this "Christian Uniform", he includes "shoes of peace". Today, it is the running shoe that has become the shoe of peace and fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment