Scripture Reading: Exodus 20:8-11
Key Verse: Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy (Exodus 20:8-11)

Meditation: First God wants to be worshiped alone and have no competing deities. Second, we are to worship God directly with no props* to assist us. Third, we must be wholly sincere and not use God’s name in any way to reflect on His integrity. In this fourth commandment God speaks of our need for a rest from the tyranny of the of schedules to focus on Him and on eternal realities, time for our minds to catch up with our bodies.
God ordained the need to rest before the labor unions suggested the kept. Doctors have concurred; our bodies need time to replenish energy and our minds need to be released from the stress. The Sabbath started with God in Genesis where He rested from his work of creation. He paused to celebrate and take pleasure in His accomplishment. Most nations have observed a seven-day work week except those based in Judo-Christian traditions. May we continue to cherish this God-given day and remember the Giver lest we become like the nations around us and focus on the idols of things and activity rather then the God who created His world and us.
The Old Testament Sabbath has been replaced by Sunday.** We must avoid the Pharisaical extreme of focusing on negatives for observing one day of rest. On the other hand, we must guard against turning the holy day into a constant holiday and deprive ourselves of our deepest need, to transcend our daily pressing cares by participating in worship and viewing our lives from God’s perspective.
Thought for the Day: I will intentionally discipline my weekly schedule to anticipate the Lord’s day for the purpose of physical and spiritual renewal.
* No siren, no human and nothing man made.
**The single day of rest has been replaced with life giving sacrifice of Jesus, God's son. It is no longer one day a week but everyday we can experience the rest. He has invited us to join him in Matthew 11:28, 29. By accepting his gift we no longer need to struggle but to rest.
I have entered this rest this year. All my life I was concerned with obeying God's principles and also lived in guilt if I messed up. I was thinking if I did no work on Sunday that I was pleasing God. I was also thinking that if I did A then God would do B. But I have since come to my senses and realized that God has already done B before I even thought about doing A to "please" Him. Psalm 23, Psalm 1:3 and many more illustrate this lifestyle.
Key Verse: Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy (Exodus 20:8-11)
Meditation: First God wants to be worshiped alone and have no competing deities. Second, we are to worship God directly with no props* to assist us. Third, we must be wholly sincere and not use God’s name in any way to reflect on His integrity. In this fourth commandment God speaks of our need for a rest from the tyranny of the of schedules to focus on Him and on eternal realities, time for our minds to catch up with our bodies.
God ordained the need to rest before the labor unions suggested the kept. Doctors have concurred; our bodies need time to replenish energy and our minds need to be released from the stress. The Sabbath started with God in Genesis where He rested from his work of creation. He paused to celebrate and take pleasure in His accomplishment. Most nations have observed a seven-day work week except those based in Judo-Christian traditions. May we continue to cherish this God-given day and remember the Giver lest we become like the nations around us and focus on the idols of things and activity rather then the God who created His world and us.
The Old Testament Sabbath has been replaced by Sunday.** We must avoid the Pharisaical extreme of focusing on negatives for observing one day of rest. On the other hand, we must guard against turning the holy day into a constant holiday and deprive ourselves of our deepest need, to transcend our daily pressing cares by participating in worship and viewing our lives from God’s perspective.
Thought for the Day: I will intentionally discipline my weekly schedule to anticipate the Lord’s day for the purpose of physical and spiritual renewal.
* No siren, no human and nothing man made.
**The single day of rest has been replaced with life giving sacrifice of Jesus, God's son. It is no longer one day a week but everyday we can experience the rest. He has invited us to join him in Matthew 11:28, 29. By accepting his gift we no longer need to struggle but to rest.
I have entered this rest this year. All my life I was concerned with obeying God's principles and also lived in guilt if I messed up. I was thinking if I did no work on Sunday that I was pleasing God. I was also thinking that if I did A then God would do B. But I have since come to my senses and realized that God has already done B before I even thought about doing A to "please" Him. Psalm 23, Psalm 1:3 and many more illustrate this lifestyle.

No comments:
Post a Comment